I Shall Be Your God

"'But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,' says the LORD: 'I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,' says the LORD. 'For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.'"

This is the beautiful covenant promise that God lays out for us through the prophet Jeremiah (Jeremiah 31:33-34) and that is reiterated by the author of Hebrews in the New Testament. It was given originally, of course, to the Israelites, but now we know that it has been given to Christians and is the covenant brought by Christ - rejected by the Jews and offered to the Gentiles. Not only was this a radical thing for the Hebrews of Jeremiah's day to hear (if they had been listening), but it was a still more dramatic thing to be presented to the Gentiles as something in which they could participate. For the Jews, having as they did Moses' famous tablets of the Commandments and the constant reiteration of the Law, this must have been strange indeed - to hear that the Law would be written upon their hearts instead of on stone, and placed in their very mind instead of merely in the mouth of the priests and prophets. To hear that there would be utter remission, utter cleansing, of sins, instead of the daily killing of animals in the Temple. To hear - yes, to hear that the Holy God would truly put away and not remember their iniquities!

Though most of the Jews did not see it as we do now, this change from old covenant to new was as different as a shadow is from the real thing. But how much greater must the new covenant have been for the believing Gentiles, who had never even had the shadow! Except for the relatively few proselytes before Christ, it had pleased God to let the Gentile world live in darkness, and now suddenly, through the preaching by the apostles and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, a light was being shown to them. The perfect law, that no pagan philosopher or teacher could fully grasp, was to be placed in the believer's heart and mind; the far-off God, who "covers Himself in light as with a garment," was now showing to the darkened nations that He would be their God, and they would be His people.

This is the covenant that we as believers dwell under now, and it is a beautiful and glorious one...but one that we often take very much for granted. I think that perhaps looking at how strange and brilliant it must have been for the believing Jews and Gentiles of the early Church might show us how to appreciate it more.

6 comments:

Sparrow said...

I love, love, LOVE, this verse. To know that God's love is fulfilled in Christ and we are drawn to be cleansed of our iniquities and have our weaknesses made strong in Him, but even more so to KNOW Him, is... breathtaking. To know that He is our God and we are His people.

I love the concept of His law being written on our hearts and in our minds. A passage I've memorized from Psalm 119 speaks of loving God's law and meditating on it day and night. I want to be that passionate for the good and righteous and Godly. Nothing is more worth it.

Thank you. ^.^

Rachel said...

Thank you for this great post! Very true - I know I take it for granted that I can have a one-on-one relationship with Jesus. It is so good to stop and remember (and thank Him for it) often.

Love,
Rachel

Abigail Hartman said...

You're welcome, both of you, and thank you so much for taking the time to comment; it's such a nice thing to scroll down the page and read "2 Comments"!

Sparrow, another verse came to mind after I submitted the post, from Psalm 95 - "Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. For He is our God and we are the people of His pasture, and the sheep of His hand."

I love not only the deep meaning in that last verse, but also the phrasing - the people of His pasture, the sheep of His hand. ^.^

Marthe said...

Ah, a lovely post as always. ^.^

I find this very interesting, because it is a very special theme. It is a wonderful reminder. Thank you so much. I can’t help thinking about it in a very emotional way. The part that He is there, no matter what... It is so easy to take it all for granted. Already now, I think this post has a dear place in my heart. It is beautiful, but still so heartbreaking. Sorry, I am a bit speechless at the moment.

Thank you dear. *snugs*

(I think I managed to delete my first comment... Woops. I am glad it is possible to cut and paste.)

Unknown said...

I love your posts, Wulfie. Very thoughtful and clear and true. It's also a good reminder that we should never allow the cross to become 'familiar' to us. For those of us who may have grown up with the faith, it is too easy to lose sight of how absolutely marvelous and terrible Christ's atonement for our sins is. How differently we and so many Christians may live and view daily life if we regained some of that wonder the early Church must've experienced!

Abigail Hartman said...

Lucy: Hee; I see you did delete your first post! I'll check my "manage comments" page and see if I can completely delete your first one, so that it doesn't show up.

I'm glad my rather rambling thoughts were clear and helpful to both of you, Dana and Lucy! It actually helped me as I was writing it; I didn't know exactly how I was going to end it, but as I was typing I realized just how much we take this for granted, and so that was where I wrapped up.

Dana, I grew up with this faith, so I know what you mean when you say that it's easiest for us to lose sight of the power of Christ's work. I think we often get lost in the brushstrokes and miss the painting; and I am as guilty of it as any other person, if not guiltier than most.

Thanks for commenting, both of you! Oh, and Dana, I love your avatar and forum signature. They're both lovely; I meant to say that on the forum earlier.

Post a Comment