Magical

A friend of mine and I were discussing the musical Wicked over email, and the conversation led on to the subject of magic in such books as The Chronicles of Narnia and The Wizard of Oz. Magic is a controversial topic among some Christians, especially among adults with young or teenage children; some parents say that what their children read is up to them, whether it be Harry Potter or Twilight, but that's a different discussion. The other two main camps are the ones who say that all representations of magic in fiction are evil or dangerous, and therefore books containing them should not be read; and those who say that magic has its place in children's literature, if used correctly. So the question is really, is all magic equally bad?

The most common use of magic is in what we call fairytales. They've been around for centuries - the originals of the Disney movies we see today, like the story of the Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Rumpelstiltskin, and a myriad of others - and mothers have told them to their children for years. They are less popular now in that form than they used to be, but the Disney productions are every bit as loved. They contain a great deal of magic, but it is not the same as is portrayed in the Biblical account of Saul consulting the witch of Endor: at least, the magic of the "good characters" is not. "Magic" is the label placed on the power that the fairies possess and use against the witches and other evil creatures, and it is meant, not to advocate black sorcery, but to illustrate the beauty and power that Good has. And does Good, God's perfect Goodness, not have power? Does it not have the power even to do miracles? And is it not also beautiful? These two things are combined in the words "magic" and "magical" - they are why we call things like a clear winter night, or moonlight on a lake, or hundreds of scarlet and orange leaves in an autumn wind, 'magical'.

These children's stories have much deeper truth in them than we give them credit for when they use magic. Not only do they show the power of Good, but they also contrast it with the sorcery of Evil. In the 21st Century, we logical thinkers often forget the fact that there are powers out there that we don't see; power from the Devil, that Father of Lies, but a greater, eternal power from the throne of God. Whether the creators of fairytales knew it or not, they were expressing very Christian facts when they spoke or wrote their stories. Does not Paul himself say that we "wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms"? This is what parents forget in banning the truthful, honest fairy-stores from their bookshelves. Children ought not to be deprived of those higher, overarching truths.

Now, as a caveat, I will add that stories which support sorcery are by no means edifying reads. That is to take a fairytale and twist it out of its truth, and many modern authors and authoresses have done just that in their novels - and even children's stories. But tales like The Chronicles of Narnia (which I have often heard attacked) are fairytales with a larger scope; look at the power of Jadis, which turns creatures into stone, and then look at the power of Aslan, which can turn stone into life again. That is an illustration of the truth of Evil and Good, and a powerful one, at that.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

hello there :)
I find this post really interesting, actually. I'm a teenager who went through a very deep phase of twilight-ish books, and just a few months ago, got rid of every book I owned that had anything to do with vampires, werewolves, etc. I was never really a Harry Potter kinda girl, so I didn't have much of an issue with magic, persay.
But I was wondering, what conclusion did you come to with the musical Wicked?
Btw, I very much like your blog :)

Abigail Hartman said...

Oh, thank you, Voice! It's always lovely to get a comment, and I'm glad you like my blog and decided to follow it.

I have never actually seen Wicked, but as a spoof on The Wizard of Oz, I would be inclined to say that it's just a fun, lighthearted spin on Baum's novel. However, I can't say that dogmatically without having seen the play. A few of my friends have seen it and found it hilarious, and I would enjoy being able to see it as well (ticket costs are simply outrageous!).

Oh, but don't read the book Wicked. I haven't read it, but I know it isn't clean; apparently they took out all the bad stuff for the play in order to make it family-friendly.

Lauren said...

Well, I LOVE the musical Wicked. Absolutely love it! Yes, it is humorous, and lighthearted, and it's just great :)
and no worries! The book Wicked is one of the ones I had, but got rid of. And yes, it was very...sketchy. I never finished it because of that haha. But yeah. Thanks for your input! :)

Abigail Hartman said...

You're welcome! Maybe one of these days I'll get to see Wicked.

Lauren said...

It's very amusing. And hey...do you suppose you could check out my blog sometime? I'd love for you to read and comment :)

http://avoiceofpraise.blogspot.com/

Abigail Hartman said...

Oh, you do have a blog: I clicked on your name and didn't see one. I'll be sure to check it out!

Post a Comment