More Dark Than Light

The easiest way to find a good book these days is to dig one up that was published more than fifty years ago. Modern books can almost always be counted on to have some bad content in them, whether or not they're published by Christian editors.

What is it with Americans' current love of gory, creepy suspense? Gross romances? Admittedly, even in the 1800s Gothic novels were in vogue among the younger generation (as addressed by Jane Austen in her Northanger Abbey), but that was more of a fad. Now it's a settled thing. Everybody reads these books, and almost everybody writes them; they're everywhere, populating the Amazon website and the Barnes & Noble bookshelves.

It's to be expected from non-Christian authors and publishers, but it's very galling when it comes from writers who purport to be Christian. Some examples that spring to mind are Francine Rivers, Stephen R. Lawhead, and Ted Dekker; very popular names, but you can't open one of their books without expecting something bad in the pages. Is it right that books under the genre of "Christian" should have such shock-value?

Generally the excuse that people use is that the books are darkening the "evil" to make the "good" appear even brighter. But it isn't really necessary. A reader can get a feel for a villain's evil character without the author having to go into gritty detail. What happens in a lot of good-against-evil stories in which the writer has tried to do this is that the accentuated evil overpowers the righteousness. Sure, you probably have the redemption in the end, but most readers will come away with a clearer memory of the bad things than of the good. Teenagers read Ted Dekker's and Frank Peretti's books for the suspense, the dark murders, the horror aspects - not for the light and the beauty of God's Word. Readers come away from many "Christian" romances with more information than they needed.

These books and authors aren't salt and light in the world. What's more, they don't help readers in their faith. Whatever happened to Paul's exhortation in Philippians?

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

7 comments:

Queen Lucy said...

Heh, I just had to write a comment. Typical me :P
No, but the real reason was because I think you got an excellent point. I’ve read many books that there has been some bad stuff in. I find it interesting that you say that you do somehow focus more about the dark than the light. I haven’t really thought about it before but it is very true. It is almost a bit sad… But I’m glad I read this because it’s so true and I’ve started to think about something new. I never read journals, but I might start to do it. It almost seems like a good idea ^.^

But I just wanted to say how well written this was and I liked to read it. It’s a great thing to think about somehow. I is somehow like a reminder, and a wonderful reminder as well. Thank you ^.^

-Queen Lucy (I don't know if I should use my real name :P )

Jenny Freitag said...

Well, at the time of Northanger Abbey those Gothic books probably felt like they would be around forever. Lord willing these dark 'Christian' novels will pass...and something just as bad will replace them. Not to seem pessimistic, but looking at history, that seems to be the way of things.

I agree with you. At some point the darkening of the darkness to make the light shine brighter fails, and the evil chokes out the righteousness entirely. The reader completely loses sight of the triumph and comes away with only the searing images left by the dark.

Abigail Hartman said...

This is true. I can't see most of these "Christian" books becoming classics, so hopefully they'll fade away in time and be lost in the past. But then we'll have a new set of garbage on our bookshelves, I'm sure...

Thanks for commenting, Queen! It is sad. I don't think I would "mind" so much if it weren't Christian writers who are putting this out; obviously, it's bad when it's coming from unbelievers, but it feels twice as bad when it comes from professing Christians. I'm sure they mean well, of course, but that doesn't detract from the problem.

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

What are your opinions on Twilight? Do you think it falls into the same category?

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion!

~Lizzy

Abigail Hartman said...

Oh, I'm sorry, Lizzy: I didn't realize you had posted! I need to turn on the email notification.

Though I haven't read it myself, I would say that Twilight falls in the category of unhealthy, not-uplifting secular books. I tend to shy away from any books that deal with vampires, werewolves, ghosts, etc., just because I find them eerie, creepy, and generally unwholesome. I don't like what I've heard of the romance in Twilight, either; it seems as if the authoress tried to go as far along the sensual line as she could without going the whole way, if you understand. In addition, the "love" seems to be unrestrained and unguided; it is influenced by the modern thinking that love is powered only by the heart, whereas we as Christians ought to see from the Bible that wisdom should be applied in love as well as in all other things.

Again, I'm so sorry I missed this earlier!

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

Oh, that's fine - I don't mind. Thanks for answering my question!

~Lizzy

Abigail Hartman said...

You're welcome! Thanks for commenting; I appreciate it. ^.^

Post a Comment